- This event has passed.
8 September 2021 at 13:00 – 14:00 BST
This event will be hosted online. Login details will be sent once attendance is confirmed.
Join Lt. Gen. (rtd.) Doug Chalmers, The Lord Risby, and Lt. Gen. (rtd.) Eric Wesley as they discuss the future of ‘active deterrence’.
About this event
In March, Her Majesty’s Government released the long-awaited Integrated Review and Defence Command Paper. Both documents foresee a more geopolitically volatile era where major powers compete for influence, integrating their discursive, military, diplomatic and development instruments for maximum effect. Consequently, both documents advance a grand strategy predicated on active deterrence, whereby the United Kingdom forward deploys more of its own instruments for more of the time, in the Euro-Atlantic, the Indo-Pacific – even space – to maintain a British presence and to deter geopolitical competitors from revising the international order.
The Council on Geostrategy would like to invite you to join Lt. Gen. (rtd.) Doug Chalmers, The Lord Risby, and Lt. Gen. (rtd.) Eric Wesley as they discuss the future of ‘active deterrence’ in this current age of strategic competition and global power shifts.
Lt. Gen. (rtd.) Doug Chalmers
- Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff (Strategy and Operations) (2016-2021)
- Co-founder and Director of Research, Council on Geostrategy
The Lord Risby
- Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to Algeria and Lebanon, House of Lords
- Chair, Advisory Council, Council on Geostrategy
Lt. Gen. (rtd.) Eric Wesley
- Deputy Commander, Army Futures Command, United States Army (2018-2020)
- Co-founder and Director of Strategy, Council on Geostrategy
This event will be hosted online using Zoom.